Mission, Vision, Values
University of Oklahoma Mission
The mission of the University of Oklahoma is to provide the best possible educational experience for our students through excellence in teaching, research and creative activity, and service to the state and society.
Norman Campus Research Mission
To utilize the intellectual, technological, and administrative resources of the University of Oklahoma for the generation and dissemination of new knowledge to understand and improve all aspects of life and living.
Norman Campus Research Vision
To become the Nation’s foremost public comprehensive research university of our size.
Norman Campus Research Values
- The University's most treasured assets are its students, faculty & staff and their dreams, ambitions and talents.
- All disciplines of scholarly endeavor are valued contributors to research and creative activity.
- Integrity, ethical conduct, and mutual respect are uncompromising principles by which research and creative activity must be pursued.
- Unfettered exchange and debate of competing ideas and perspectives expands understanding, promotes inclusion and ultimately leads to excellence.
- Collaboration – whether among individuals in the same discipline or involving scholars across multiple disciplines, programs, institutions, and types of organizations – is recognized as a valuable means for performing research and creative activity and is encouraged.
- Diversity that encompasses but is not limited to gender, ethnicity, geography, organization, discipline, and perspective, is foundational to excellence in scholarly endeavors. Increasing inclusion, and broadening the participation of traditionally underrepresented groups—particularly in science, technology, education and mathematics (STEM)—are institutional priorities in research and creative activity.
- Research and education are inextricably intertwined and together represent the foundation of knowledge creation upon which the University's scholarly enterprise rests.